Congratulations to our first HPU-Maryknoll Dual-Degree Program Graduates
On Thursday, May 9, 2019, history was made at Maryknoll School as five of our Class of 2019 seniors graduated from Hawaii Pacific University's College of Professional Studies with their Associate of Arts degrees, as a part of our dual-degree partnership with HPU.
Taylor-Anne Atou, Dani Sur, Kai Sunahara, Tyson Tonokawa, and Angeline Tanjutco will be the first Maryknoll students to receive both their Maryknoll School Diploma and Hawaii Pacific University A.A. Degree upon graduation from Maryknoll School in June. While Tyson and Kai were unable to attend the ceremony due to their participation in the state HHSAA Golf Championships, we're proud of all of these trailblazing students for this amazing accomplishment.Click here to view the recording of the HPU Spring 2019 Commencement Ceremony
In 2017, Maryknoll became the first Catholic and private K-12 school to partner with HPU and offer high school students the opportunity to earn a college Associate of Arts in General Studies degree upon graduation from high school.
Our graduates were fortunate to have the below experiences as members of our HPU Dual-Degree partnership:
- Students were exposed to the type of college curriculum that research has found to promote bachelor’s degree attainment.
- Lowered the cost of postsecondary education for our students by enabling them to earn free college credits and shorten their time to degree completion.
- The program provided our students with more realistic information about the academic and social skills that they will need in order to succeed in college, through their participation in actual college courses.
- Our students received first-hand experience in what campus life is like, which can help ease their transition from high school to college.
We are grateful and thankful for all those that have made this program possible and continue to help foster continued participation in the program. A special mahalo to the below members of the HPU Administration Team that helped to spearhead our joint program:
- John Gotanda J.D., President, Hawaii Pacific University
- Mani Sehgal A.B.D., Dean, HPU College of Professional Studies
- Yvonne Vance, Assistant Dean, HPU College of Professional Studies
The HPU faculty expressed their delight and joy in having our students in their classrooms and are excited to welcome even more Maryknoll students to the university. Our students will be continuing their academic journeys and will seek to earn their Bachelor's Degrees from the following universities:
- Taylor-Anne Atou - Creighton University
- Angeline Tanjutco - Hawaii Pacific University
- Tyson Tonokawa - University of California, Berkley
- Dani Sur - University of Hawaii at Manoa
- Kai Sunahara - University of Hawaii at Manoa
It's also important to note that all of our students' credits earned at Hawaii Pacific University will be transferring to their respective four-year universities. In addition to our dual-degree students, the following Class of 2019 students participated in dual-credit classes and obtained HPU credits as Maryknoll students:
- Isabelle Gary - University of Rochester
- Alyssa Kawamura - University of Hawaii at Manoa
For families interested in participating in our HPU Dual-Degree or Dual-Credit programs, please contact our Director of College Guidance, Larry Kekaulike, at email@example.com
or call 808-952-7222. Congratulations again to all Hawaii Pacific University Class of 2019 graduates!