The vision that is now Maryknoll School began with a young priest and six Maryknoll Sisters
more than 90 years ago. When Maryknoll School was blessed in 1927, the student body was comprised of just 93 boys and 77 girls. Six Maryknoll sisters taught classes in a one-story building on Dole Street.
Within four years, the Sisters knew that expansion was necessary. In 1931, the first freshman class was enrolled and in 1935 the first thirteen graduates of the only Catholic, co-educational high school in Hawaii received their diplomas. The high school division continued to operate at Dole Street until 1948, when it was moved to the former MacDonald Hotel on Punahou Street.
Today, Maryknoll School is a high-tech campus with nearly 1,200 students across all grade levels. The grade school campus serves kindergarten through eighth grade students, while the high school campus accommodates grades nine through twelve. The 150 faculty and staff members consists primarily of lay men and women.