Summer 2012 is almost here! In the next few months, remember to schedule time for our summer reading. This summer, the Maryknoll community on the high school campus will be reading two books, Winterdance: The Fine Madness of Running the Iditarod by Gary Paulsen (ISBN 978-015600145-8) and The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway (ISBN 978-080851932-4).
These books are currently available for purchase at Maryknoll School’s online bookstore, MBS Direct. The website address is http://bookstore.mbsdirect.net/maryknollschool.htm
- Click on "Order Your Books"
- Click on "Pay by Credit Card"
- Select "Shop by Course"
- Select Summer Reading
- Click on both the fiction and non-fiction book selections
At the start of the school year, we will all participate in seminars with our classmates and teachers in advisory. A seminar is a discussion where a leader and a group share their ideas, impressions and questions on a specific reading. Ultimately they arrive at a point where they understand more than they did at the beginning of the discussion.
To prepare for these seminars, you should do the following:
- Read the books! Be sure to put your name in your books.
- While reading, highlight or underline passages of interest and meaning. In the margins or on separate paper, note any reactions you might have to your reading. Mark unfamiliar words and search out their meanings.
- Your advisor will check your notes before each seminar.
- Review the books and your notes before school begins.
Seminars will take place on the following dates and times:
- Summer Reading Seminar #1: Winterdance: The Fine Madness of Running the Iditarod - Friday, August 31, 2012; 9:30 – 10:30 AM
- Summer Reading Seminar #2: The Old Man and the Sea – Friday, September 7, 2012; 9:30 – 10:30 AM
You are expected to bring your book and participate in the discussion. Please listen to the announcements regarding the special schedule on the seminar days. The special schedule will also be posted on the webpage and in your classrooms. There will be make-up summer reading seminars scheduled, if needed, with dates, times and locations to be announced later.
Previous Summer Reading Books
The Gospel According to Larry by Janet Tashjian
Claudette Colvin: Twice Toward Justice by Philip Hoose
The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie
The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch
The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho
Dreams of My Father by Barack Obama
March by Geraldine Books
Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass
Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson
Geeks by Jon Katz
My Sister’s Keeper by Jodi Picoult
Between a Rock and a Hard Place by Aron Ralston
The Kite Runner by Kaled Hosseini
Persepolis: The Story of a Childhood by Marjane Satrapi
No One’s Perfect by Hirotada Ototake
The House on Mango Street by Sandra Cisneros
A Teen’s Game Plan for Life by Lou Holtz
The Street Lawyer by John Grisham
Middle Son by Deborah Iida
A Man Named Dave by Dave Pelzer
Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
The Seven Habits of Highly Effective Teens by Sean Covey
Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
There are No Children Here by Alex Kotlowitz
Wild Meat and the Bullyburgers by Lois Ann Yamanaka
Stride Toward Freedom by Martin Luther King