Celebrating 85 years of educating Hawaii's keiki
The vision that is now Maryknoll School began with a young priest and six Maryknoll Sisters 85 years ago. When Maryknoll School was blessed in 1927, there were only 93 boys and 77 girls that made up the student body. The six Maryknoll Sisters, who had arrived from New York just four days before opening day, comprised the first faculty. The school was a one-story wooden frame building, containing four classrooms, on Dole Street.
Within four years, the Sisters knew that expansion was necessary. In 1931, the first freshman class was enrolled and in 1935 the first thirteen graduates of the only Catholic, co-educational high school in Hawaii received their diplomas. The high school division continued to operate at Dole Street until 1948, when it was moved to the former MacDonald Hotel on Punahou Street. In August 1953, the present high school facility was dedicated.
Honolulu had Catholic schools at the time; excellent private schools conducted by congregations of religious men and women from Europe and patterned on European values and ideas existed. The American Sisters, however, believing that education of choice should be open to everyone, set out to establish a co-educational, parish school. Families in the parish, as well as other families desiring to have their children educated in the American way, were invited to send their children to the school.
Today, Maryknoll School is a high-tech campus and has a total enrollment of close to 1400 students across all grade levels. Grades kindergarten to eight comprise the grade school campus; grades nine to twelve make up the high school campus. The faculty and staff numbers 150 and consists primarily of lay men and women. Constantly adapting to the ever-changing educational landscape, Maryknoll School’s utilization of 21st century technologies like laptops, iPads and smartboards provide the students with the skills to navigate the growing world of technology in an impactful college preparatory educational environment.